Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Birth Story

It's been exactly one month since Beatrice and Louise were born.  It feels like years!!!  We immediately fell in love with our little girls and can't imagine our life without them.
I love hearing other people's birth stories.  And I love thinking about each of our children's unique birthday.  Here is the girls' story:
On Wednesday, July 31st, I was feeling "off."  Our good friend Heather can account for that as the boys and I met her and her boys at the library that day.  I cried no less than three times.  I couldn't keep anything in me for the past three days (all going out the other end!!) and was, of course, worried about the girls.  After speaking to the doctor that day, she had told me to keep an eye on my Braxton Hicks contractions and if I had more than six in an hour we needed to come in.  We made it through the day and before bed that night, I told Tom I'd wake him if anything happened.  He replied, "What do you mean?" And I told him I felt weird but I didn't really believe anything would happen that night.  I was up several times per usual.  At about 2:30, I decided I should keep track of the contractions as I was beginning to think I was having more than I truly believed.  And sure enough, at 2:40ish, my water broke.  I woke Tom up and told him I thought my water broke but wasn't sure.  After dinking around for 15 minutes or so, we called the hospital and they advised us to come in.  I called my sister shortly after that and she arrived at our house around 3:15 to be with Henry and Charlie.  Meanwhile, I jumped in for a quick shower and by the time I was done, the real contractions had begun and were just minutes apart.  We rushed out the door and Tom claims he drove 90mph down to Northfield.  I claim he hit every pot hot along the way!!  We arrived at the birth center around 4:10.  I was dilated to an 8 1/2-9 already.  Panic mode set in as the "team" had not been called.  With twins, we needed 2 obs, 2 pediatricians, 2 labor nurses, an extra nurse, and the anesthesiologist.  All I cared about was getting something in me to manage the pain as it was fierce!!  I was eventually wheeled to the operating room and was given an epidural around 5:15.  At this point, everyone was there that needed to be in order to deliver our babes.  At 5:25, it took about 2 pushes to get Beatrice out- the doctor set her on my chest (I was still wearing the clothes I came in as there was not enough time to change!!).  I enjoyed being with her for about 5 seconds before the whisked her away and we got started on baby number two.  Louise was breach so the two doctors attempted to turn her around.  They did this with success, however, her legs were also up around her face.  So they turned her back to the breach position.  After discussing how to proceed next, the operating table was brought over- everyone was nervous about delivering Louise breach.  My doctor and I discussed this scenario- she knew I did not want to have a c-section if at all possible.  It was decided to attempt to pull Louise out by her ankles.  After a few pushes and some crazy maneuvering by the doctor, Louise arrived at 5:50 and was just as healthy as can be!!  I was absolutely elated to have delivered both girls successfully and without needing a c-section! :)
The strangest part for me was the between time- when Beatrice was born and Louise was not.  I didn't know what to concentrate on- watching the pediatrician with Beatrice or focusing on getting Louise out.  Obviously, once the decision was made to take Louise breach, that was where my focus was.  
I LOVE the whole process of birth (once the epidural kicks in, of course!!).  It is so magical!
 Beatrice and Louise, hours after birth
Proud mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment