The story of Charlie's birth started on Sunday evening, the 14th of August. I was chatting to my sister-in-law, Angie, on the phone about a play date we were going to have the next day. But before discussing our plans, I was complaining to her that I was up all night with contractions (I had been having contractions for about 6 weeks at this point). I told her how I was so frustrated because I didn't know if they were braxton-hicks, pre-term labor, or the real deal. I said I just wanted my water to break so I would know for sure that I was in labor. My wish was granted as we started talking about the farm we would be meeting at, I sat down on the couch and felt (what I was pretty sure) was my water breaking! I wasn't completely certain so I walked around a bit and felt a few more "squirts" (too much information?!?!). I called my sister, who was lined up to take Henry, and was unable to get a hold of her. So I called the hospital to let them know we would be coming. Eventually I got a hold of my sister through her husband. Jennie and Brynn came and spent the night with Henry (he thoroughly enjoyed himself!!). I was just so excited that I was finally in labor after dealing with all the pre-term labor stuff (something I wish I never even knew about!), Tom and I had a pretty giddy ride down to Northfield.
We arrived at the hospital at about 8:00 and after determining that my water did indeed break, they pumped me full of pitocin to get my contractions underway (I wasn't really contracting at this point). By 11, I was in extreme pain and got my epidural. By 3:00 I was feeling ready to push and by 3:45ish, I started pushing. The nurse timed me, and we pushed for 14 minutes before Charlie decided to make his appearance at 4:10 am! He came so quickly, the doctor wasn't even ready yet! I was so giddy after a quick and easy labor that I just kept giggling after Charlie was born!
I was able to hold Charlie immediately after birth and he began nursing about 10 minutes after he was born (and he's been a champion eater ever since!).
Charlie after his first official bath that the nurses gave him.
Proud daddy
Tom went home at about 9:00 that morning to pick up big brother Henry and bring him back to the hospital to meet Charlie. Henry was in awe of his little brother!
Charlie brought Henry some new vehicles! Henry was impressed!
Happy family of four!
Sweet Charlie
I was able to hold Charlie immediately after birth and he began nursing about 10 minutes after he was born (and he's been a champion eater ever since!).
Charlie after his first official bath that the nurses gave him.
Proud daddy
Tom went home at about 9:00 that morning to pick up big brother Henry and bring him back to the hospital to meet Charlie. Henry was in awe of his little brother!
Charlie brought Henry some new vehicles! Henry was impressed!
Happy family of four!
Sweet CharlieCharlie was able to meet lots of friends and family on his first day! After big bro Henry came to visit, Grandma and Grandpa Mullenbach came with Jennie, Darren, Brynn and Cara right behind them. Grandma Mary and Aunt Anne also came to visit along with my bestie, Emily. Another good friend, Becky, kept me company that evening while Tom went home to be with Henry. All in all, an excellent first day as a mom of two! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment