Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Thinking PINK . . . and PURPLE! :)

 Baby GIRL A
Baby GIRL B
 
Many have asked how I'm feeling about two girls . . . for those who have been around me the past few months know that I was hoping for a couple of ladies (Tom was indifferent, Henry wanted boys- so they could be like Henry, Charlie and daddy, and Charlie had no opinion!)!  We (I), of course, would have been a-okay with a family of four boys.  But, oh my goodness, am I ever-so-happy to even out our gender status in this house! :)
Here are a few more popular questions:
 
1.  Do twins run in your family?  Both Tom and I have twins down the line in our families.  From what I have been told and have read, the genetic side to twins comes from the woman's mom's side.  It just so happens that my mom has twin cousins.  However, none of this applies to us as we have "spontaneous" twins, or twins that have nothing to do with genetics!
2.  Will we get a bigger house?  Ha!  Nope, the boys will share a room and the girls will share a room.  (I can't even keep the house I have clean, let alone a bigger one!)
3.  Do I need to treat this pregnancy any different than my past pregnancies?  Nope!  I was extremely cautious once I learned we were having twins.  But I've gotten over that to an extent.  The doctors say to treat this like any other pregnancy.  The only real differences are:  extra folic acid and iron pills, I'm more tired than my past pregnancies, and things are happening earlier (tummy popped out, weight gain, hard to catch a breath, etc.).  Other than that, I'm feeling great and am enjoying carrying two little people instead of one! :)
4.  Will we get help once the babies are born?  We are lucky to live fairly close to several family members and many good friends who are more than willing to lend us a hand!  We will certainly take them up on their offers!  We have also thrown around the idea of a part-time nanny for the first year.  Here's my thoughts on a nanny:  I would feel more comfortable bossing around a nanny than friends/family.  I wouldn't feel guilty about having a nanny do some light housework where I would feel weird about friends/family doing that sort of thing.  I also like having time with just my little family so having a revolving door of friends/family makes me a little anxious (don't get me wrong . . . we are going to be ecstatic to show off our little ladies and to enjoy help from our support network . . . but I'd rather sit and visit with friends/family than have them do things for me or take a nap while you're here!).  For those who know me well, I have a hard time asking for help where my kids are concerned.  I love being a mom more than anything else and enjoy my time and effort I put towards my kids.  I'm anticipating a rather tough transition for myself once these babes are born as I like to do things myself.  But who knows, perhaps I'll be begging for some help once we're in need! :)
5.  Do we have names and will we be sharing?  No names yet . . . I was still not 100% certain we would find out gender on our way to the appointment.  The thought of coming up with 4 names was a bit too much.  We've just started throwing around girl names but will keep them to ourselves until they are born.
6.  How will you tell the identical girls apart?  The twin book I'm reading suggests color coding the babies for the first couple of months.  So, I'm taking that advice!  We'll be doing PINK and PURPLE (which seems logical, right?!).  I've already done a bit of online ordering to ensure we have several itty bitty outfits that will help identify the girls! :)
7.  And Henry's question he keeps bringing up:  Can we get a dog?  Oh buddy, maybe in 5 years or so . . . I don't think I'll be able to take care of my house plants let alone another living, breathing creature for the next several years! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment