Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Proud moment!

Tom and Henry came home from gymnastics last weekend and Henry whizzed in the door hollering, "Mom!" I rounded the corner and there was my two-year-old SO PROUDLY holding his ribbon for completing the winter session of gymnastics! I immediately teared up- he was just so proud! Now, I am a firm believer in kids doing activities, their homework, what mom/dad tells them, etc. because that is simply what they are supposed to do. I DO NOT believe in giving rewards to kids for these behaviors because, again, it is what they should be doing anyway. I have had discussion with friends about, for example, giving everyone a trophy at the end of soccer season- regardless of how the team performed. But seeing Henry come home holding his ribbon so proudly, I can now see why our society has gone to the "every one's a winner" approach. I still refuse to give my kids money for grades . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment